Monday, January 23, 2017

Devotion - Monday, January 23

My devotional guide has turned to Paul's letter to the churches in Galatia.  I will be reading from this book for the next week or so.  This morning I read Gal 1:1-17.

In these opening verses, Paul is concerned that some have forsaken "him who called you in the grace of Christ and turning to a different gospel - not that there is another gospel." It seems that some have begun to follow a similar but not authentic presentation.  

These words are a reminder to me, as a person who speaks in favor of a wide range of theological perspectives.  These words are a reminder that accuracy does matter and that we do need to be attentive to whether what we are following is authentic.

We don't know what the alternative gospels were advancing.  We might infer it as something to do with justification by grace, since this will come up over and over again in this letter to Galatia.  Our readings over the next several days will surely help us understand what concerns Paul.  What I want to take away from this morning's prayer time is the reminder to be vigilant.  I will never stop being considerate and open to others, but I will remember to evaluate and test what I hear - not by a single line in my Bible - but by what the Gospel teaches me.

No comments:

Post a Comment