Thursday, January 19, 2017

Devotion - Thursday, January 19

This morning's Opening Prayer proved to be very powerful for me.  Of late, I have found myself facing some challenges.  My prayers have too often been requests for God to aid me, or sustain me, or provide for me that which would make the challenges seem manageable.  

This morning, I realized my prayers could (and maybe ought to change).

Here is the Prayer:
Show us, O God, as much of thy purpose, because we have it, as shall steady us.  We do not ask that the way be made smooth, or even that thou wouldst bestow upon us now the strength which thou hast promised.  We ask only for the grace to use what thou hast already provided in Christ Jesus. Amen.

Let me insert that some challenges do need to be lifted to God.  Let me assure you that I do not believe that we are never justified in asking God for strength or guidance or insight.  But, maybe, you are like me and realize that what God has already given you might be all that you need.

Depend upon the Lord, and trust in God's presence.  In most instances, we don't need something more, we need to be mindful of what we have already been given.

No comments:

Post a Comment