Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Devotion - Tuesday, April 4

The devotion offered at yesterday's Synod Council meeting encouraged us to consider how the word of God informs and directs our day.  It gave me opportunity to consider the interaction that occurs during these quiet moments at the start of my day.

I read the appointed lessons.  I read a reflective piece.  I read some prayers.  I also sit in silence.  I also look over the list of those I want to continually lift up in prayers. I also find myself preparing for the events and challenges the day will hold.

Some days, what I read dominates the reflection time.  Some days, the matters lifted in my prayers ring so loudly in my heart that the words I read have no chance.

It is probably understandable that this happens - that the balance is tipped one way or the other.  But if it were to continually tip in favor of the concerns facing me this day I would need to be concerned.  The intention of a morning prayer routine is to allow the Word of God to set the tone for my day.  When the concerns of the day drown out the Word I am no longer praying.  Rather, I am making use of reflection techniques taught in a self-care seminar.

There will always be a time in my morning to remember you and the concerns you have shared with me.  But the strength I have to share as the day progresses comes from the Word of God, reflected in those scripture selections which I read before I pray.  This is the gift we give - the power of God's Word.  

No comments:

Post a Comment