Monday, April 3, 2017

Devotion - Monday, April 3

If you are looking for places in scripture which support the theological concept of predestination, Romans 9:19-33 is a good place to start.  Paul speaks of why some are still found to have "fault", given that God is the one who brings the Word to us and moves our heart to respond.  (All of this is in the preceding verses, the parts of Romans you hear often in our Lutheran congregations.)

In chapter 9, he turns to the thorny question of how any, then, resist.

In many ways, his reply is a pass.  He says it is not our place to know what God knows or to understand why God does it.

Along the way, he reuses the image of a potter. He asks whether it is not the prerogative of the potter to make from the same batch of clay some vessels for honor, and some for menial tasks.  The implication being that God is free to move the hearts of some while leaving others in their "fault."

This is not a part of Romans you will hear me quoting often or turning to when I share my faith story.  But in this ongoing, years long interaction we have, it is important that I also expose to you the verses of scripture that confound me.  This is one.  

I know that my faith is not of my own doing.  I remain totally convinced that it was God who brought faith to me and sustains that faith.  I don't know why all are not similarly overwhelmed by God's goodness and thus turn from their fault.  Maybe Romans 9 is the answer.  It isn't one I would embrace, but I need to read it and consider it and make sure that I am not ignoring it.

No comments:

Post a Comment