Thursday, April 20, 2017

Devotion - Thursday, April20

The daily cycle of readings brought me back to the appointed readings for last Thursday (Maundy Thursday).  The section is Jesus' command to "love one another."  Let me confess, that as I started to read my first reaction was to scan and move on - fooling myself into thinking that these verses were already familiar and recently applied to my life.

Then I started to remember yesterday.  Yesterday was one of the days when I allowed myself to get over-booked.  I had too many things on the schedule and too many commitments to pay attention to them all.  Even when I did make it to last night's dinner, I was distracted thinking about the Habitat Event on Friday and getting the displays prepared.

My quiet time this morning brought to mind all of those who carried me through the evening.  An earlier text assured me that the dishes would be cleaned.  A phone call confirmed that the projector would be up and running.  Observed Messeger messages bore witness that things would be in place for boxball.  All of this didn't happen just to ease my commitments, but it did.  And it allowed me to attend to the things pressing the hardest.

It is an amazing thing to be part of a community that does truly love one another and look out for one another.  It is a gift of God's grace to come together each Wednesday and experience a whole room full of persons seeking opportunity to bear one another's burdens.  It is the end toward which Jesus is pointing when he tells his disciples to love one another.

You have a couple of weeks of stress in front of you.  You have schedules so full it makes mine look like a cake walk.  I will pray (and attempt to remind you) that you have a resource available to help you during these weeks - you have each other.  You have the community of Jesus' followers.  You have the opportunity to love one another and be loved by one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment