Monday, April 17, 2017

Devotion - Easter Monday

I do not mean to overlook the handful of you who yesterday were at the same worship services as me.  And, there was a good smattering of students who we don't see all that often, but always overjoyed when we do.

The assumption made is that you were with those who have known you from your childhood; that you were in the community of persons who have observed your faith walk from the days of your baptism.  This assumption is also a hope - a prayer - that you have such a home and that you have such persons in your life.

The Easter evening story is of Jesus joining some of the disciples on the road to Emmas.  He is not immediately recognized; that happens when he breaks the bread. This encounter always reminds me of those who have come along side me, as I journeyed, and as happens in this story they are the one who explains what the events in Jerusalem mean.  Jesus does all this in the story.  Those who journey with me have done this in my life.

My home congregation is Cedar Grove, Vale, NC.  In that gathered community there are many who have known me since my baptism.  They are the fellow travelers who can remind me of events and help me to understand the significance of things that happened in the beginning of this marvelous story.  I am called to be where I am now, but I treasure the days I am able to be back in that fellowship.  I hope, I pray, your Easter was such an experience.  

No comments:

Post a Comment