Thursday, March 1, 2018

Devotion - Thursday, March 1

Two of our active students are in a class together and they often share with the rest of us the content and/or musings of that class.  It is a class on human sexuality.

Because both of these students are somewhat reserved, their comments sometimes strike me as attempts to test the boundaries of what can be discussed.  Sometimes, they get too close to my sense of random comments.

All of this came back to me this morning as I was reading I Corinthians 6:12-20.  Paul speaks of the complicated and confusing customs regarding cult prostitution in the first century A.D.  Times have changed; but they do remain the same.

What we do with our bodies matters.  And sometimes our bodies and our emotions are not in harmony.  We use one in order to explore the other.  Conflict or confusion occurs when we get or send mixed signals - a different signal with our body from the signal we send by our emotions.

This is complicated - and I am grateful for classroom time to press the edges of what we are willing to learn and to ask and to discuss.  I regret that we find it difficult to have these discussions within the community which informs not only our emotions and our bodies but also our spirits on what it means to be a bearer of Christ.  I can't promise you that I won't also get nervous or stressed, but I do assure you that I know how important it is for the community of Jesus to be involved in our evolving understanding of what it means to be a child of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment