Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Devotion - Tuesday, October 18

Today is another travel day.  I will be with five of my colleagues these next 30 hours to discuss emerging trends among young adults and how best to speak the Word of God to their lives.  It is exciting work; it is a study project (but the only exam is how faithfully we minister to LCM.)

I have learned to pack light for such trips.  I carry my book bag/computer.  Then a small knapsack with a change of clothes.  I was feeling pretty good about this (don't we all hate it when someone gets on the plane with two large rolling suitcases?) until I looked at the appointed lesson for today.  In Luke 8 Jesus sends out the apostles.  And he tells them to take no bags or provisions.  No extra sandals. 

My biblical studies have revealed to me that such passages are designed to remind us to be dependent upon Jesus and not to think our own resources will carry us through.  There is something frightening, yet liberating to leave it to God to provide for us.

We do carry a lot with us.  We are inclined to make sure we have extra provisions.  I instruct my children to have a full tank of gas and a backup battery for their cell phones when they are driving long distances.  

I am not going to change this practice; nor am I going to head off to a meeting with clean socks.  But it is important to ask myself questions about turning to God and allowing God to be my source of security, rather than the things that I have accumulated.  Good questions for all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment