Thursday, October 13, 2016

Devotion - Thursday, October 13

I read this morning the story of the "woman of the city" who washes Jesus' feet with her tears and anoints them with oil.  This encounter is in a couple places; the one I read is in Luke 7:36-50.

It was the final words of Jesus, to this woman, which brought me great comfort this morning.  He says to her: "Your faith has saved you; go in peace."

There are a number of absolutely wonderful things happening in my life - all this week!  For each, I am overjoyed.  But, it would be more peaceful if they were not happening at the same time!  We are completing the 23rd annual Homecoming Habitat build.  My daughter is getting married on Saturday.  My son has come home from Omaha for the occasion.

Jesus says, "Your faith has saved you; go in peace."

It is the gift of this peace that I celebrate this morning.  What a gift!  And in reading Luke 7 I am reminded that salvation is so many things - including peace amid stressful times.  The peace of which Jesus speaks reminds us not to become overwhelmed but to trust and rely on God.

Thanks to this habit I have developed of getting up each morning and opening my bible; thanks to the decision to follow a proscribed set of readings; my bookmarked bible opened this morning to a lesson I need to hear.  I will start my day with the confidence that my faith has saved me;  I will go forth in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment