Monday, October 10, 2016

Devotion - Monday, October 10

It is in Luke 6 that we read Jesus' critique of ability to acknowledge our own shortcomings or sinfulness.  He asks, "Why do you see the speck in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye?"

It does seem to be easy for us to point out how our sister or brother is missing the mark and living their lives contrary to the directives of God.  We are way too quick to point out the transgressions of which they are guilty.

In my own life, I know that there are some transgressions which are more bothersome to me.  It is easy for me to note the ways in which these transgressions create a whole host of problems.  I also know that I avoid these, in my behavior. 

But there are other transgressions which don't bother me as much.  I just don't see these as being as damaging or hurtful.  I go easier on those who commit transgressions in this latter category.  I also need to admit that I am not as vigilant in making sure these transgressions do not occur in my life.

Which leads to the question of which came first - my choosing which commands to adhere to - or - an observance and then justification for my behaviors.  Do I devalue the significance of those transgressions which I commit?  Ignoring how offensive these flagrant transgressions are to another?

Specks and logs are difficult things.  And each of us is inclined to categorize them according to our own preferences and our practices.  Before we start to remove the speck from another's eye, we do need to spend some time examining the log in our own.

No comments:

Post a Comment