Monday, October 24, 2016

Devotion - Monday, October 24

"I don't know Who - or what - put the question, I don't know when it was put.  I don't even remember answering.  But at some moment I did answer Yes to Someone - or something - and from that hour I was certain that existence is meaningful and that, therefore, my life, in self-surrender, had a goal."  Dag Hammarsjold

Hammarsjold was a Swedish Lutheran, Secretary General of the United Nations and Nobel Peace Prize recipient.  This statement of his resonates deeply with me.  It was offered by my devotional guide to compliment the line in Luke when Jesus says, "No one who puts a hand to the plow and looks back is fit for the Kingdom of God."  Those words of Jesus' frighten me;  and I worry if I look back.

But Hammarsjold's words instruct me to what Jesus is meaning to say.  Hammarsjold's words remind me that once that time came (whenever it was) from that point forward I have never even wanted to look back.  I may have glanced at behaviors or uncaring phrases.  My ethics may not have been ideal or my morality what I would prefer.  But the meaning found in my life and for my life has never weakened.  The gift of knowing that I am part of that which is beyond me and over me and under me is the gift that has come by way of saying Yes to Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment