Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Devotion - Tuesday, October 10

My devotional guide has me reading I Kings, Chapter 21.  Here we find the encounters between Elijah and Ahab, King of Israel.  Figuring heavily into the story of Ahab are the activities of his wife, Jezebel.

Ahab "does what is evil" in the sight of the Lord.  His role as King is used to his advantage rather than being a servant of God and of God's people.  For this, Elijah is sent to speak the word of God to Ahab.

As I read these stories, it is impossible for my heart and mind to steer clear of feelings about the current state of affairs in our world.

God does not chose our leaders in the way that we are taught to believe the leaders of ancient Israel were selected.  And, while our leaders my place a hand on a bible as they take their oath, they are not charged with upholding the teachings of Jesus (or Moses or Muhammad or Buddha).  But I have taken such an oath (in my baptism), and so I want work toward a society in which the teachings of Jesus guide us.  

My heart and my mind wanders during my prayer time.  And my emotions crush my spirit out of concern.  It seems we are rapidly losing the art of respect and honor; the ability to see wisdom in the critique of our opponent.  We hear so little talk about true compassion for the least among us.  I feel as if I am living I Kings.

Some have heard my observation that the American Political Experiment is over.  No one is any longer convinced that citizen elected representatives will guide us as a people.  (Folks don't vote, few are in contact with the members of congress, tweets set policy, and mass demonstrations are the aim of every political ideology.)  I don't know what form of government will replace the current system.  And I fear that the time of transition may last decades rather than merely a few years.  Many will take oaths and swear oaths in the years to come.  I encourage you to remember the promises made at your baptism.  And while other systems may falter, remember that Jesus' followers have stood strong through many changes and that we will also emerge from this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment