Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Devotion - Tuesday, October 3

This morning I had the joy of reading the resurrection story!  This is one of the section of the Bible with which we are so familiar we think there is little reason to re-read it.  But nothing could be further from the truth.

Yes, I do know the story-line; and yes, I remember the subtle differences between the various accounts in the Gospels.  However, there is no story which best lifts my hope and my expectations than these verses.

Somewhat in keeping with my Sunday sermon, this morning's reading reminded me of the role assigned to those initial followers of Jesus.  They are the ones to whom Jesus entrusts the Good News.  They are the persons who will be in the position of telling others what God has done.

I heard a sermon by William Willimon one time in which he talked about the line "but some doubted."  He pointed out how incredible it is that the resurrected Jesus would turn to his rag-tag disciples (remember how many times they messed up during Jesus' earthly ministry) and say to them - "Now it is up to you!"  Some doubted - doubted they were equal to the task; doubted that others would listen to them; doubted Jesus' wisdom for trusting them with such a sacred message.

Jesus does trust us.  And for good reason!  We tell the story well.  And we show the world the depth and power of God's love.

No comments:

Post a Comment