Thursday, October 5, 2017

Devotion - Thursday, October 5

This morning will my last opportunity to write about the spiritual experience begun last Wednesday and continuing through tomorrow.  We have been on Bowman Field, building the Homecoming Habitat for Humanity house.

I refer to this as a spiritual experience intentionally.  Habitat's roots are in the religious community known as Koinina Farms.  The basic philosophy is neighbor serving neighbor, the message is involving our hands in that service.

It is also spiritual for me because of the number of opportunities to respond to comments like, "Are you a builder?"  "No, I am a preacher."  And then there are opportunities to talk about the Church, about the ministry, about God.  And those conversations are deeply moving.

I often encourage you to talk to people out in the world about your faith.  In reality, I have fewer opportunities to do that than you might think.  I bump into someone at the coffee shop, but I am there for a pastoral visit with someone who is already coming to Church.  These encounters allow me to have a reason to share my faith, and my involvement, and to hear back from folks.  

The replies are tainted by the experience.  Right away, my conversation partner sees that faith is in action.  Right away, they see that the call of Jesus is a call into the world and for the sake of neighbor.  But the replies are amazing.

As I wrap this up, I realize that part of what I want to say is "Thank you."  Thank you for being understanding these two weeks when I say that I need to delay time to visit with you.  Thank you for all the errands you run in order to allow me to stay at the build.  Thank you to those whose financial gifts make it possible for University Lutheran to make me available to the project.  And thank you for your expressions of support and love - I am getting older and these ten days are taking a terrible toll on my body.

We are Church.  We are Church together.  We are Church for the sake of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment