Wednesday, March 11, 2020

Mid-week Worship - Seven Deadly Sins - Greed


2nd Week of Lent – 2020
March 11, 2020  
Amos 8:4-14/ 2 Samuel 12:1-17a                                                                                 
                                                                               Greed 

It has been a while since anyone looked at me and told me that I was greedy, or being greedy.  The closest I come are those family dinners when my wife fears I am taking more than my share.  Her 97-year-old father (product of the depression) will never empty a bowl.  If I fail to leave a sufficient amount for him to not worry there isn’t enough, he stops eating and I get that look from Laura.

Perhaps it has been a while since anyone suggested you were greedy.  I hope so, I really do.  While I am only coming to know you, I do not perceive you as a bunch of greedy persons.

Or at least I didn’t.  Until I started preparing for these Lenten worship services and began to do a bit of reading about the seven deadly sins.  I feel compelled to share with you that we have done ourselves and the whole Christian family a disservice by failing to probe the wisdom of the early Church Fathers with regard to greed.

I am pretty sure that any and all of those who were trying to give depth and understanding to the message of Jesus would NOT accept MANY the behaviors which we have embraced.  It would be difficult for those in the first Church to comprehend how we not only fail to share everything in common, but also become insulted when asked questions about our stockpile of stuff.

We can say that that was then and this is now and that the two cannot be seen as one.  We can.  And most (practically all) do speak of this as being the practical realities.

I say it myself – obviously.

Which is why I hate it when God puts a hair-brain idea in front of me and start to read and pray and study.  Because what the bible says and what the theology of the Church teaches is that we have allowed the sin of greed to become a celebrated social good and a welcomed pillar upon which the good we seek to build is established.

Greed is not only what happens in my small scale interactions with others.  It finds opportunity for expression in larger pattern of interactions.  Let me use myself as an example.  When it was suggested to the Council that I might be asked to serve as Interim Pastor, everyone knew we would need to talk about pay.  Those who came to see me will tell you that I came to that meeting with the SC Synod compensation guidelines.  I used those to basically say, “I will only come to St Michael if you pay me this much.”  They will tell you, the amount was more than they expected.  It cast an unfavorable light on the amount that you had been paying Pastor Miles.

My colleagues in the SC Synod praised me for my shrewd negotiations.   And I think you next full-time pastor will also be appreciative.  What is frightening in all this is whether those accolades will deafen me to the warnings about greed infecting my life and driving my actions.

Greed is the deadly by-product of fearing that there won’t be enough.  Greed is the life-robbing emotion which lies under the worry that if we don’t have sufficient reserves then we will be left desolate and without resources.  Greed is also the cancerous growth which starts to rob our eyes of the ability to see the needs of our neighbors and our heart to feel the pain of their suffering.

I had not thought of myself, or you my brothers and sisters, as greedy until I made greed the center of my prayers and the focus of my reading.  We live in a greedy culture, and our culture encourages greed.

Hopefully you have your small catechism memorized.  (If not, it is on page 1161 of the ELW.)  Luther points out that the commandment, “You shall not steal,” includes a whole lot more than never being the mugger on the street corner. 

Luther reminds us, “We are to fear and love God so that we neither take our neighbors’ property nor acquire them by using shoddy merchandise or crooked deals, but help them to improve and protect their property and income.”

It is easy for us to condemn the greed which leads to theft and burglary, but what of the greed which lies behind selling that used car before the oil leak is noticeable?  Or the greed of a bull market associated with the fear of a world-wide flu pandemic?

Our culture has made money-making a good.  A greater good than so many of the other aims and ideals to which God’s people are to be committed.  While we occasionally question how someone made their money, practically everything in our society supports the acquisition of wealth as good.  We say –and it is true – that having stuff is not in itself evil.  But when, over time, the making of money and earthly delights becomes preferred over divine obligations, we are in a whole lot of trouble.

And, I fear, this is what has happened to us.  We have become greedy – we have allowed our amassing of stuff to be the salve for our fear that God won’t provide.  We no longer look to God for our daily bread but make sure we have enough money in the bank to buy bread for the remainder of our days.

And maybe it is wise to adapt the ways of the world.  Unlike the early Church, the Church of today isn’t likely to rally around us and help us if we become unable to pay our rent or feed our children.  That may be most profound difference between the way things were then and the way they are now.

Greed has cut us off from one another.  Greed has isolated us even from our Christian brothers and sisters.  This really is a deadly sin. 


Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment