Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Devotion - Tuesday, August 30

Every Christian needs to know well the concerns raised in John 6:60-71.  Because of Jesus' words (Jesus' honest words) many start to fall away.  They are not sure they will be able to endure the harness which comes with following.

A follower of Jesus discovers that the deepest joy in ours when we lose ourselves in him.  A follower of Jesus realizes that always putting ourselves forward is exhausting and totally unnecessary.

Jesus turns to the twelve and asks if they also want to go away.  Peter speaks up and states what Jesus' followers have come to know - "Lord, to whom shall we go?  You have the words of eternal life."

There is no where else we can go.  There is no where else we would want to go.  We have come to understand the costs of following, but we are also very aware of the benefits to be lost by no longer following.

I do experience the total joy of being one of Jesus' followers.  I am aware of the costs - speaking up the word of Christ often frustrates those around me and results in a loss of popularity.  But that joy is beyond compare and unlike anything else which I might ever experience.  Jesus has chosen me, invited me, and that is all I need.  

No comments:

Post a Comment