Thursday, March 10, 2016

Devotion - Thursday, March 10

Today is my baptismal anniversary.  This is an observance which brings me a great deal of comfort.  On this date, I am reminded that God claimed me as a child and that God has promised to love me and look out for me.  Whatever might change in my life - my identity in Christ does not.

Martin Luther said that when confronted with hardship or when challenged by detractors, it was enough to say, "I am baptized."  Our hosts for our trips to Elisleben, Germany (the village where Luther was baptized) had t-shirts a few years back with these three words printed in bold font.

My baptism does not immediately resolve all of the bumps and hindrances which come my way, but it does assure me that these will not be my undoing, that I will not be overcome nor will I be defined by them.  My identity is sure; my future is known.  I am baptized!

PS:  Spring Break is next week for the Clemson campus.  I will resume these offerings on Monday, March 21

No comments:

Post a Comment