Thursday, March 24, 2016

Devotion - Maundy Thursday

This day takes its name from the new "commandment" that Jesus gives his disciples.  He tells them to "love one another."

If you remember back to ML King Day, I spoke of the difference between "loving" another and "liking" them.  The command to love stretches us beyond those whom we would find enjoyable or fun or even agreeable.  To love means we care for them, regardless of the degree to which we have formed a tight bond with them.

Jesus commands us to love one another.

Perhaps you are like me in that I have experienced this love more often than I have given it.  I am often the recipient of a love that could only have come from God - surely I did not merit or deserve it.  But there it was or is.

I am motivated, by the love which comes to me, to attempt to love in a like manner.  I am motivated; but I need help to act on it.

Let us be to one another that help.  Let us speak to one another about the invitation to love as Christ has loved us.  Let us encourage one another and provide for one another examples of how we love.

The "new" commandment of Jesus has been with us for centuries.  But it is always a new thing when it is practiced.  Let's make it new, today, in our lives and in our world.

No comments:

Post a Comment