Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Devotion - Wednesday, November 16

This morning I was reading from Luke 15.  Here we find the parables of the lost sheep and the lost coin.  The summation of these parables addresses the joy which comes when a "sinner" is found or returns to God.

I am very uncomfortable, thinking of those who are not with Christ as "sinners."  We are all sinners, so why single them out as such/

It isn't much better to think of them as "lost."  At least if we allow that designation to imply that they are "lost to the Lord."  God does not lose anyone; and no one is outside the reach of God's gracious care.

But I will entertain the notion that the one sheep which has become separated from the ninety-nine, or the one coin that is in a different place from the other nine needs to be reunited.  There is something lost; and that may be the confidence that God is attentive and searching.

Life is too often lonely and frightening.  Life tends to contribute to worries that we have become lost.  My bible reminds me that this is an often expressed emotion.  And my bible assures me that I am not lost, that I am not alone, and that I can find courage to face that which is frightening.

No comments:

Post a Comment