Thursday, November 3, 2016

Devotion - Thursday, November 3

One of the student leaders asked me, "Do you really get up early and write those devotions, or do you do them the day before?"  I asked if it wasn't obvious, from all the typing and spelling and other errors.  I do them as a stream of conscious each morning.  This also means I don't have a plan, or even check a record to see if I am saying the same thing I said earlier.

Like - have I said anything about Revelation?  I have been reading this, as one of the appointed daily lessons, for the past couple of weeks.  But I can't remember if I have written anything.  Forgive me if I have.

This morning the verses I read are from the 12th chapter.  This is the so called "War in Heaven."

As with all of Revelation, there is no doubt to the outcome.  The evil one is easily defeated.  There is no possible challenger to God and God's anointed ones.  The Devil is cast out of heaven, along with all of his followers.  There was never any question this would happen.

What does happen is some fallout from this defeat.  The evil one is cast from heaven, and lands on the earth.  In his weakened humiliation, the evil one attempts to inflict as much pain as possible.  So, while he is easily routed, there is still pain even in his defeat.

These words are words of ultimate hope.  These images help us to place in perspective the pain that is inflicted upon us, while holding firm to the assurances of God's victory.

It is somewhat hallow, and I would never speak such words to those in the midst of a crisis, but no hardship or pain should ever be interpreted as God having lost or given up.  We will endure.  We will preserve.  The victory is ours.

Pastor Chris

P.S.  Fall Break is Monday and Tuesday.  There may be a "Friday Devotion" sent out tomorrow from one of our students, but I will be back with you on Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment