Thursday, January 28, 2016

Devotion - Thursday, January 28

I have been reading a portion each morning from Genesis.  Chapters 15, 16 & 17 recount the giving of promises.  God makes promises to Abram.  There is a promise to Hagar (the Egyptian maid of Sarai, Abram's wife.)

There are many, many levels to these chapters, and forgive me for pulling out one simple message, but in these promises there is something helpful to remember:  God makes the promise.

God comes to Abram and promises him a great and large people.  God comes to Hagar and promises her and her child protection from Sarai.  God comes and announces, "I will be your God."

We too often think God is willing to be our god if we approach him and make a promise to him.  We too often set up an "if, then" exchange.  The way of God is "because, therefore."  It isn't "If you sign on, then I will bless you."  No, God says "because I am your God, this is how your life ought to show that relationship."

We respond to the promise God makes to us.

Because God has loved me so deeply, therefore I need to fret about my purpose in life or what will happen when I die.  Because I have experienced God's search me out and claiming me, therefore I will search out the lost and tell them that God has also redeemed their life.

"Because, therefore."  Much different that "If, then."

No comments:

Post a Comment