Sunday, May 10, 2020

Sermon - 5th Sunday of Easter - Year A


John 14:1-14

                                  Many (Many) Resting Places 

John 14 is typically a funeral text.  Before I move away from that thought, allow me to extend the comfort of Jesus’ words to all of you who may associate  these words with the funeral of a loved one or family member.  These words are comforting, and consoling and ought to be read whenever and wherever there is any worry or apprehension or grief.  Jesus’ words are more than a promise; Jesus’ words are an announcement, a proclamation.  “Do not let your hearts be troubled….  In my Father’s house there are many dwelling places.  If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you?”

Jesus is sharing information; Jesus speaks of what is real and sure.  These words do bring great comfort to us.  These verses ought to be shared with all who mourn and with everyone who stands by the grave and commends a loved one into God’s eternal arms.

Let us all give thanks for the many times when these words from John 14 have brought comfort to those returning to God the one whom God has claimed as son/daughter.  What I would like to suggest to you this morning is that these words are too wonderful to ONLY be spoken at funerals.  I would very much like to be part of a Church in which John 14 sums up the way we see ourselves alive in the world which Christ has come to save.  My contribution to whatever emotion or reaction these words might already bring is to point out how they speak to the way you and I are invited to spend this day and every day which God gives us.

The place where this happens is in the way we translate that all important second verse. 

Look at this with me, if you need to.  Many if not most can probably recite it from memory.  “In my Father’s house there are many dwelling places.”  “Dwelling places” is the translation here.  But I wonder how many of you reciting from memory used a different image.  Did any of you recite, “In my Father’s house are many mansions?  “Mansions” is the King James Translation.  And for many of us the image of mansions in heaven is what we think of when we hear this passage.  When I was taking my bible courses, the instructor pointed out to us that another possible translation would be to call these things “rest stops.”  Think of what the passage may mean for us this morning is the translation was this - In my Father’s house there are many resting places”?

The announcement Jesus makes is that when we do find ourselves in full time residence in the house of his Father and our Father, there will be a “mansion” for us.  The good news Jesus shares is that we do not find such comfort only when death has robbed us of life.  In my Father’s world, there are many (many) resting places.  The next one is closer than you think.  And each is a place prepared by God for the children of God.

These words (and so many others) do address the fear too often assumed to accompany the transition in which we now live with Jesus.  In our Father’s house, there is a grand and glorious place for us.

These words (and so many others) also assure us that God has prepared resting spots for us as we continue on the journey which will eventually bring us to that grand and final day.

Somers Farmer shared with the Thirsty Thursday group the significance of these resting spots.  When it was her turn to share how the week was going, she summed up with an acknowledgement that there were sufficient “ups” in her week to make the “downs” seem insignificant.  Her words brought comfort to all of us, and confidence amid our various “downs.”  I thanked her and told her that her comment reminded of the words of Dr. Joseph Sittler.  Sittler was a professor at the seminary at Chicago.  In one of his earlier writings, he spoke of watching seagulls along the shore.  Most of their time was spent hovering above – he said.  But then they would swoop down, and almost as rapidly return to their place in the sky.  Sittler likened this to his experience of God.  While he wished God would be a continual and constant and undeniable presence, most often we journey amid questions and we search for where the Lord may be found.  Even so, there have been enough “swoops” to sustain us and feed us and enable us to hold on until the next “swoop” happens.

Some day I will go to live with Jesus.  Until that time, I have Jesus’ announcement that as I continue my journey on earth there will be many rest spots – many “swoops” – which will give me the confidence I need.

You can evaluate where you are between the last time you were graced with a warming of your heart and how desperately you seek such a visit on this day.  And I do not want to ignore that the space between those undeniable experiences of God’s presence can be far too great.  If only we could manufacture them.  What I will offer you is the opportunity to see John 14 as more than a prediction of what our existence will be like at the end of our journey and to realize that Jesus’ announcement has as much (if not more) to say to where we are this day.

Between resting spots, we become weary.  Between euphoric moments in our spiritual life, we get petty and inclined to argue.  There can be no doubt that this congregation is in one of those between times.  Did we not hope a new pastor would be under call by now?  The ceiling repairs create an anxiousness about the physical space associated with those funerals, as well as baptisms, wedding, and confirmations.  And where would I even begin to speak of the void created by the COVID pandemic?  When will we be able to return to the house of the Lord? 

The frustration produced by “times in between” make it way to easy to snip at one another or fail to interpret the actions of others in the kindest of ways.  The worry that “this may be all there is” encourages us to amass for ourselves and horde all we can grab.  In essence – we worry that another will find a place to lay down their burdens, but there won’t be a place for us to do so. 

Relax.  And set aside your fears and concerns.

“Do not let your hearts be troubled.” Jesus says, “Believe in God, believe also in me.  In my Father’s house there are many (resting spots).  If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you?  And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, so that where I am, there you maybe also.”

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment