Monday, April 8, 2019

Devotion - Monday, April 8

Jeremiah 24 records a vision in which the prophet is told that God will remain by the side of those who suffer, and that God will see the way of the wicked perish.  This does happen, over generations.  Jeremiah's words are a confirmation of this; his words were a comfort to those who were in the category of the suffering.

We know this to be true.  Over time, we are able to look back and see the evil moods which misguided us a people.  And, in comparison to biblical times, it doesn't take us all that long.

It was only 250 years ago that we thought chattel slavery was okay.

It was only 100 years ago that we did not think women should vote.

In 1960 many thought it wrong to allow back and white to marry.

My prayers confront me with deep concerns for our world.  We are turning in on ourselves and ignoring those who are the least among us.  Our attitude toward strangers has become one of suspicion and mistrust.  We turn on one another with high-powered rifles.  Most houses are built with non-functioning front porches but elaborate back-yard privacy fences.  Health care is advanced, but only available to the few.

My study of scripture reminds me of the way of God and assures me that the way of God will be revealed.  My practice of turning to the Word of God comforts me, I may not see the righting of these wrongs but they will come.  In the lives of my children and grandchildren and great-grands?  It is the work of the devil that we can't see what is so clear in the eyes of God.  But God sees.  And God nudges his children toward sight.  My prayers are not in vain.  God's will will be done, on earth as in heaven, and with God's help that will will also be done through me.

No comments:

Post a Comment