Thursday, April 18, 2019

Devotion - Maundy Thursday

The lesson appointed for this day is Jesus' display of his love for the disciples and his instructions to "love, as I have loved you."  This is a widely accepted instruction, but one difficult to apply to our lives.

The love Jesus displays does, without doubt, set the concerns of others above his own.  

The love Jesus displays does, without doubt, result in reckless behaviors which come back to hurt and harm Jesus.
 
i have told my children to never, ever pick up someone along the side of the highway.  I have told them to call helping professionals rather than stop to assist a stranded motorist.  We have lots of room in our home, why not invite one of the families involved in Family Promise to just stay with us till they get their feet on the ground?

I raise these examples as my way of saying I share the shame of failing to live according to the command of Jesus which I will preach on later this evening.  It is a tough thing to hear and to do.

On this  Maundy Thursday, my prayer is that you will struggle with applying Jesus' instructions.  Do more than "believe" in the way of Jesus, search ways you can live the way of Jesus.  It isn't a huge leap which gets us to our destination, it is a series of small steps.  Take one.

No comments:

Post a Comment