Thursday, March 7, 2019

Devotion - Thursday, March 7

I was on Library Bridge yesterday from 11 to 1, offering imposition of ashes to those who wished to receive them.  We refer to it as "Ash 'n Dash," meaning there is no full liturgy and folks can receive their ashes as they dash off to their next class or meeting.

I shared with some of you that I resisted doing this for a number of years.  My concern was it might allow for a shallow show of false piety.  But I have come around, after years of offering Ash 'n Dash.  

There were persons who approached us (over 250 came) who I am sure do not have a regular faith community.  I image this may be for reasons not their own fault.  I think of those who may have been injured or harmed within a church building.  My heart goes to those whose guilt is too great to approach the house of God.

We were also out there - where people live their lives.  It is not a good thing that we most often think of church as a place we go to - rather than God's means of coming to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment