Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Devotion - Tuesday, February 19

In Mark 11 we have one of the instances where Jesus speaks of what can be accomplished by asking God.  "Truly I say to you, whoever says to the mountains, 'Be taken up and cast into the sea,' and does not doubt in their heart, but believes that what he says will come to pass, it will be done for him.  Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask in prayer, believe and you will receive it, and it will be yours."

How do you apply this verse in your life?

Obviously, none of us would use prayer in order to cast the mountains into the sea.  We are also mature enough not to use prayer as a way to approach the exam for which we need to study.  But what of other prayer requests?  

February 19 is the anniversary of my sister's death.  Her death still disturbs my faith.  She was only 69; and a deeply loving and caring person.

This devotion is not going to end with a perfect conclusion.  But it will be my attempt to share what I have learned from others.  And by "others," I don't mean my professors at seminary or the Bishops who have given lectures or sermons.  I mean the 90 year old persons, and those like my sister whose struggle with diseases such as cancer made them wise.

A faith which does not lift to God our petitions and prayers is useless.  We cannot receive the grace of God unless we go to God with our greatest heartaches.  It is essential that we ask for mountains to be thrown into the sea.  Those who pray with such confidence bear witness to the results of such prayer.  They speak of how God returned to them and brought them peace.

It is a matter of faith.  And while faith does not insist upon our setting aside logic, this aspect of faith is not logical.  It is much more profound and true than any argument which could be pieced together using our reason or knowledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment