Wednesday, December 5, 2018

Devotion - Wednesday, December 5

"The Lord shall judge between the nations,
and shall decide for many peoples;
and they shall beat their swords into plowshares,
and their spears into pruning hooks;
nation shall not life up sword against nation,
neither shall they learn war any more."
Isaiah 2:4

I wonder, during these days of Advent, if our society desires the dawning of the vision articulated in Isaiah 2 or if we oppose it.  War typically happens when one group wants to impose their advantage on another or when one group fears being robbed of they have come to think is their possession.  I wonder - how you individually hear the prophet's words about an alternative world-view.  And I wonder how we as a society hear those words.

My fear is that we are scared, worried, nervous.  That we are inclined to lock ourselves inside our fortress and stand ready for battle.

Isaiah's word will be read and repeated in many of our Advent texts.  His oracles are God's invitation to come to the Holy Mountain and to receive the gifts of God's justice.  Isaiah calls upon all the societies of the earth to be united in following the way of the Lord.

I wonder.  If we can trust in God's way - giving up our own way.  

I wonder.  If we can see the bounty of the earth as enough for everyone and thus cease to hoard.

I wonder if the sense of wonder spoken of during this season of the year might find its way into our conversations and our attitudes and our moods and our self-understanding.

I wonder, and I hope, and I invite you to do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment