Monday, November 12, 2018

Devotion - Monday, November 12

It seems to finally be turning cold.  Fall has been very warm this year; I have longed for cool mornings and signs of frost.

Winter is a season of rest; a time when the tress and grasses can replenish and renew.  Winter is a season of slower activity and a time when the fruit tree isn't expected to be producing.

It is a good time of the year.  For these reasons.

Unfortunately for you, this season begins as you are hitting these last weeks of class.  While the earth is becoming dormant, you are cranking up.  I lament this for you - and realize it may prevent  you from receiving the gifts associated with a season of rest.  So, I write to you of such things.

And I remind you that none of God's creatures were designed to be constantly working.  Each evening's sleep is the most immediate reminder of this.  You have have similar reminders when you become burdened or overwhelmed.  You may long for the rest of a dormant season.

There is no solution I can offer you.  I wish I could give you a ticket to a place of rest.  I will remind  you of the importance of rest and renewal and I would support you as you find opportunities to give your body and your spirit the breaks needed.  At the very least, be mindful of this.  Make one of your walks between classes a mini-Sabbath by observing the dropping leaves and the approaching winter clouds.

It is cool this morning.  A good reminder of how God has made this earth and how God cares for that which has been created.

No comments:

Post a Comment