Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Devotion - Wednesday, September 26

I read the last of the Book of Job this morning,  The long conversations between Job and the three friends is brought to a conclusion when Job confesses his inability to know that which is known only to God.  Job is a righteous person; he accepts that being loved and chosen by God does not mean that he will understand all things or perceive all things.

It is the desire to know that which is known only to God which lies behind the stories in Genesis 3.  There, Eve and Adam act in an attempt to be like God in their understanding.  This is the transgression which separates them even further from God and from one another.

I wish I knew.  I long for the ability to understand.  But I cannot and I will not.  I must accept that God is God and I am not.  There are some things (many things) which I will need to leave in God's hands.  This can be frustrating; it is always humbling.  

But the One who does know is "gracious and merciful, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love."  So, that which is beyond me is in good hands.  With this awareness, I am returned to the way of living which existed during my childhood - I innocently and confidently left things with my parents, knowing they would decide and that they would do what was best for  me.

No comments:

Post a Comment