Monday, September 3, 2018

Devotion - Monday, September 3

Yesterday was the Tubing Trip.  We load up the van (and 2 cars) and drive over to Helen, GA, and float down the Chattahoochee River. It is a lot of fun.

We didn't pause as often as we could have to give thanks for the river, for the trees, for the blue sky above us.  But it was obvious how much each was appreciated.  The simplicity of "floating along" took away all the complications of daily routines.  I am not among those who want to shout "Put your phone away!"  But that also happened.  

One of the things I noted was the diversity of the folks floating with us.  There were many Spanish speakers.  Persons who seemed to be from India.  And there were two groups whose words reminded me of Swahili I heard in Tanzania.  You get very close to your fellow floaters.  Bumping their tubes, helping them over rocks, listening to their conversations as you float within arms length of their tubes.  In my prayers, I imaged a world in which we all realized ourselves to be floating down the Chattahoochee.  At peace with the world as God has made it; bumping into others - helping them and appreciative of their assistance in getting our tube over the shallow spots and rocks.

We only go tubing once a year. Maybe we should go more.  I hope those who went yesterday will today image their life story somewhat differently.  I pray they will retain the calm and beauty which was God's gift to us yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment