Sunday, April 22, 2018

Sermon - 4th Sunday of Easter


John 10:11-18            

                                           A Good Shepherd is Always a Good Shepherd

“Good Shepherd Sunday” is as much a part of the liturgical calendar as “Doubting Thomas,” or “Mary’s Magnificat,” or “The Baptism of Jesus.”  You are going to have a Sunday every year when you get to hear these stories.  Was it last year, or the year before, when I made use of this Sunday to encourage everyone to practice repeating the 23rd Psalm by heart?

Good Shepherd Sunday is a regular, as it should be.  Because the image of Jesus as the Good Shepherd is powerful, and moving.

The image of Jesus as “The Good Shepherd” also serves a double purpose.  The image brings great comfort to us as followers of Jesus; and it sets forth an expectation for how Jesus’ followers are to represent Jesus in the world.

In my faith life and in my professional life, there is no image, or theological concept, or doctrinal statement which is as meaningful as the depiction of Jesus as “The Good Shepherd.”

While I often speak of how blessed was my childhood, there were also some dark days.  I didn’t understand it at the time, but my grandfather did meet many of the indicators for alcohol addiction.  My grandmother’s early death sent my mamma into a funk that lasted most of her adult life.  We became accustomed to repeating Daddy’s assertion that Mamma’s allergies were keeping her at home and in bed; but there were a lot of struggles with undiagnosed and untreated mood disorders.

It was these same family members who formed my appreciation for Jesus as “The Good Shepherd.”  They demonstrated to me a confidence in a Jesus who could and would and did lift us in his arms, hold us close to his heart, and say, “There, there.  Everything will be alright.”

Everything was alright; and it is alright; and it always will be.

Why?  Because we have a good shepherd.  We are loved and cared for by the one of whom Peter speaks in Acts 4 – this shepherd is the one in whose name the “good deed is done.” 

Everything will be alright.  Because this good shepherd is watching over us and is with us and will guide us.

I can’t remember whether we have notified the congregation that while in Wittenberg this March, the campus ministry students planted a tree in the Luther Garden.  There are to be 500 planted as part of the 500th anniversary, and now there is one with a dedication placard which reads: “Lutheran Campus Ministry-Clemson.”  When you sponsor a tree, you get to pick a dedication verse, which is noted on the brass plaque.  We picked Matthew 9:36. Maybe some of you know this verse.  I sure talk about it enough.  The verse reads: “When Jesus saw the crowds, he had compassion for them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd.”

I did have a strong influence on picking that verse.  Because the image of the good shepherd is so powerful to me.  It has become more meaningful to me each year in which I serve the Church through campus ministry.  College students are amazing individuals and they are continually exceeding so many expectations.  But they are also caught in times of transition which have the potential to exert unimaginable pressure and stress. 

These students are much smarter and aware of what the tremendous changes occurring on this planet and among its various sub-cultures.  But they are often unable to speak of these things and those fears by parents who are themselves too frightened to admit the truth.

I have mentioned before Kadison’s book, College of the Overwhelmed.  Andrew Zirschky has written a book which speaks of youth’s seemingly never ending use of those blasted cellphones.  In the book, he points out how that little plastic box is often the only shield youth have from a judging and cruel and name-calling world.  I have started looking at my screen a whole lot more.  My spirit is crushed when those who ought to be role models resort to name calling when confronted with differences of opinion or orientation.

When Jesus saw the overwhelmed masses of his day, he had compassion on them.  When he looked upon them and what he saw were God’s children - harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd.  And he lifted them in is arms, and he held them close to his heart, and said to them, “There, there.  Everything is going to be alright.” 

And it was.  And it is.  And it always will be.

It is my profound appreciation for the way in which Jesus has done this for me which undergirds my attempts to do this in the lives of others.  In a way which might be fool-hearted; which certainly allows for exploitation; and which many appropriately see as naïve – I try to imitate the pattern of that Good Shepherd.

I did say “try.”  And you are free to gather with others in the narthex and point all the times when I failed – and failed miserably.  You are also welcome – encouraged – to bring to the attention of others the ways in which such an attitude has exposed me, this ministry, and the congregation to liabilities and accusations.

I did say “try.”  Because I know that no attempts on my part will ever be worthy of mention in the same breath as the talk of the One who is The Good Shepherd.  I might attempt, but I cannot do it.  Who can?

The image of Jesus as the Good Shepherd comforts me – and perhaps comforts you as well.  It can be – it ought to be – a driving force in our ministry.

The image of Jesus as the Good Shepherd also confronts me – and perhaps confronts you as well.  It can be – it ought to be – a guiding force in how we live out our ministry in the world.

How will we see inner-city kids, caught in a seemingly endless cycle of poverty and crime?  Are they hooligans and leaches on our society?  Or are they sheep (lost sheep) in need of a compassionate and caring shepherd?

What s our attitude of addicts – be that alcohol or opioids?  Do we see morally flawed individuals, incapable of strapping on their armor and facing the world as it is?  Or do we see little lambs, so frightened by a world with plenty of work to do, but too little of it which pays a living wage?

And I would raise the touchy issue of refuges.  We know how often they are seen as a cover and shield for militants with every intention of destroying the way of life we have so pain-stakedly crafted for ourselves; illegals with no rights.  If the Good Shepherd is always a good shepherd, how does he see them?  And might his followers also act as good shepherd who will assist these sheep by helping them find the green pastures in which they might lie down in safety.

The image of the Good Shepherd makes it possible for me to get out of bed on those days when I had just as soon pull the covers over my head and insert ear plugs. 

It is a comforting image. 

It is the image which confronts me with need to speak to a hurting and distressed world the good news of this shepherd and his love.

It is the image which drives ministry and the mission of the Church in the world.  Remember the affirmation of our catechism – it was the whole world for which Jesus pays the price.  Not with silver and gold (those items so precious to us that we protect these chunks of mineral with all of our might and power.)  No, not with silver and gold but with his own precious blood.

The good shepherd takes us in is arms, holds us close to his heart, and tells us, “There, there.  It will be okay.”  And it will be.  It is.  And it forever will be. 

May it also be so in the way we share with others that which we ourselves have first received.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment