Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Devotion - Wednesday, April 18

The plan for our Sunday morning bible study in the fall is to rotate topics from week to week.  On the 4th Sunday of each month we will talk about symbols and art.

The Roman and Orthodox churches are wonderful displays of the role of art in the life of the Church and Christians.  Fearing "graven images," much of the Protestant Church removed statues and murals.  

I remember my first worship experience in which icons were a part of the liturgy.  There was something powerful about gazing into the image and allowing my spirit to inform my thoughts.  I experienced the presence of God; I also received a glimpse of the depths of my connection to God, a connection too complex for words.

You are in university.  Every effort is made to increase the information stored in your brain.  Thinking is what you are doing all the time.  Except, perhaps, when you gather as God's children.  There and then, it is the convictions and the connections which give meaning and purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment