Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Devotion - Tuesday, April 3

In I Corinthians 15, Paul reminds us of the resurrection.  There seem to be some among the church in Corinth who are denying the resurrection.  Paul attempts to set them straight.

I need to hear Paul's words.  Those of you who are around me a lot know that my push-back to continual talk about "getting into heaven," or "being in heaven" results in my pointing out that Jesus sat aside the heavens in order to be here with us.  My concern is that some focus so much on heaven that they overlook how important it is to live here, and to do heavenly work among our neighbors.

That is my concern.  And this morning I wondered if it results in too little talk about our resurrection.  Paul's words help to set me straight.

The promise of eternal life with God is central to the Christian message.  The assurance that we will not forever remain in our graves means we will finally know God fully.  The Easter message is that Christ is but the first fruits of those who will follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment