Thursday, April 12, 2018

Devotion - Thursday, April 12

John 15 includes this verse:  "If I had not come and spoken to them, they would not have sin; but now they have no excuse for their sin."

It is an added expectation, for those who have heard the word of God.  We know what is right and pleasing.  We have no excuse for continuing to life as the world would have us live.  Yes, to those whom much has been given, much is expected.

Then there is the issue of how we define "sin," or what is sin.  Too often we associate sin with evil actions.  Too readily we assume we have no sin when we cease to do bad things and/or think bad thoughts.  This verse reminds us that another definition for sin is failing to believe and trust.  Sin is the condition of those who do not follow the word of Jesus.

Let me restate something I say often and will say till my last breath - Being a disciple of Jesus is a value-add.  My life is fuller, richer, more meaningful as a result of my relationship to God.  There is nothing - nothing - which matters which I am called upon to "give up" in order to receive the eternal life of which Jesus speaks.  Perhaps the toughest thing for me to give up is an arrogance associated with those previous sentences.  Perhaps I try to cling to my own understanding and efforts in these matters.

My life is better when I take on the extra burdens associated with having heard the word of Jesus.  My life is more meaningful and connected when I accept the opportunity to live as one to whom much has been given.

Jesus has spoken, and I have no excuse or reason for not doing as his words instruct.

No comments:

Post a Comment