Monday, April 16, 2018

Devotion - Monday, April 16

Matthew 3;6 - "Then went out to (John) Jerusalem and all Judea and all the region around the Jordan, and they were baptized by him in the river Jordan, confessing their sins."

Confessing is central to the followers of way of God.  We are taught to hide or cover or divert or minimize our transgressions.  We are encouraged to find ways to flip our short-comings in order to make them look like learning experiences.

A dear friend is helpful in her warnings that being continually told "You are a sinner!" can rob us of our confidence and sense of self-worth.  Good thing to remember.

Confessing does not automatically mean an injury to our happiness or confidence.  Confession allows me to see and to acknowledge those parts of myself which need attention, but I may not even be aware.  Confession gives me the assurance that changing path, taking a new way, being someone different is possible - it is even encouraged.

By regularly engaging in confession, I am better prepared to hear the critique (even criticism) of another.  I have experienced what happens when I become aware of my shortcomings and admit them - God is there to celebrate with me my repentance!

Confession is good for the soul.  It is also very good for our life together.

No comments:

Post a Comment