Thursday, February 22, 2018

Devotion - Thursday, February 22

Every time I read the story in Mark 2:1-12, I am reminded of all those who have carried me at various points in my life.  The story is of the man who cannot walk.  He is carried to Jesus by friends.  When they can't get into the house, they go up on the roof and take out the ceiling tiles and lower his bed to where Jesus is.

The bible says, "When Jesus saw their faith, he said to the paralytic, 'My son, your sins are forgiven.'"

It isn't merely the trust and confidence of the one lying before Jesus; it might not be his at all.  "Their" faith impresses Jesus.

I think of all the times when I was too worried or too anxious or to distressed to even be able to approach God.  Others carried me to Jesus in their prayers.

I remember the instances where I was so blind or so stuck in my own thinking that I would never experience a turning to the way of God.  It was those who loved me and acted on my behalf who made possible the change.

Then, I do have opportunity to recall those whom I hold in my heart who are currently too injured to be able to get to Jesus.  I consider what ceiling tiles I might remove in order to place them at Jesus' feet.

We are not in this alone.  We are being carried; we are carrying others.  And it is the faith of all of us which results in any one of us hearing the pronouncement that our sins are forgiven, that we can rise up, take up our pallet, and walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment