Thursday, February 1, 2018

Devotion - Thursday, February 1

I have found myself in several conversations about heaven and hell.  Thankfully, one who overheard a bit of what I was saying to someone else came to me for clarification - about what it was that I had said.  I wonder (and worry) that others might have also overheard and might be confused or disturbed by my quick comments or thoughts.

This will not become a ten page paper on the subject.  But allow me to share a bit.

The lectionary has me reading Hebrews.  I read this morning 12:1-2, where we get these words:  "let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with perseverance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus the pioneer and perfecter of our faith."

Looking to Jesus is a much better way to express my confidence and my hope.  Luther used a word for sin which suggested turning attention to oneself (gazing at their own belly-button.)  

My life in Christ is so wonderful.  Faith has filled me with joy and happiness and purpose.  I will look to Jesus, with the confidence of what he has already done for me and trust that it will be no different when I die.  I might be tempted to take a side-glance or to turn at look at my own navel, but joy and happiness and purpose are clearer when I look to Jesus and trust all things to him.

Heaven or hell is not as large of a concern for me as is finding it possible this day to set aside every weight and sin.

No comments:

Post a Comment