Monday, January 29, 2018

Devotion - Monday, January 29

"Faith" is what God hopes to find in us.

We continually hear "Justification by faith."

But when our cognitive selves try to understand or explain "faith", we sometimes slip into something that isn't faith.

I was reading this morning from Hebrews 11. This is the chapter which lifts up the faith of Abel, Enoch, Noah, and Abraham.  It was by faith that they lived and "became an heir of the righteousness which comes by faith."

In our culture, we most often confuse faith with morality.  We begin to associate being a person of faith with living by a particular code or set of expectations.

We also associate faith with believing outrageous things, which no one would believe if thinking about it on their own.

Faith (to me and those with whom I tend to associate) is a relationship.  It is a trust in God.  Faith becomes the lens through which I see the world and the construct by which I make life decisions.  Out of this there grows a moral code and I do accept some things as reality which the culture around me finds laughable.  My faith informs what I think, but it occupies many additional parts of my life.

Read Hebrews 11.  Develop the ability to articulate your own understanding of what faith is.  

No comments:

Post a Comment