Monday, January 22, 2018

Devotion - Monday, January 22

I failed to note on Thursday, that I will be attending a retreat through Wednesday morning.  Should I miss a morning to write to you, this is why.

But, today I am up and able to send this note without causes too much disturbance for my roommate.

This retreat is a conference for campus pastors.  Assisting us these days is the Chaplain from Wake Forest University.  He will share with us what it means to be mindful and be present.

Last evening we discussed these words, "Be still and know that I am God."  We wondered together about the difference between being silent and being still.  Silence may be necessary for there to be stillness; but stillness is something more.  Stillness involves stopping long enough to allow our spirits to move downward rather than continuing with our mind's desire to move horizontally. 

Be still.  

This is part of the reason we go on retreats.  Too many of the "retreats" I take are filled with activities and attempts to cram as much information into my brain as possible.

Be still.

I am going to enjoy these days.  And the opportunity to share with my peers how activities get in the way of doing the work of Jesus.

Be still.

I realize it might be easier for me these next couple of days than it will be for you, but I want to encourage you to find time and opportunity.

Be still.

At least for a few moments - right now.

And get to know the God who created you, and loves you.

No comments:

Post a Comment