Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Devotion - Wednesday, November 29

I Peter 2:9 became very meaningful to me during my college years.  Peter reminds the people of God: "You are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation."

I am sure I heard these words and comments on them during my childhood, but hearing them during the critical years of self-identification affected the way in which my relationship with God developed.

It is extremely comforting to know that we are chosen.  The feeling of not being wanted crushes us and dashes so much of what we hope to be.  But we are chosen, chosen by God.

The priesthood is no private club or tightly controlled circle.  In reality, there is a royal priesthood and we are all chosen to be part of it.  One of us might have a seminary degree and wear a funny looking collar on Sunday morning, but we are all priests - making present in the world the presence of God.

The holy nation to which Peter refers is not a political identity but a universal one which holds our allegiance.  These words from I Peter were making their impression upon my life as I was discovering youth and young adult ministry in South Africa, Germany, and Tanzania.  I found a this world-wide bond of God's royal priesthood to be comforting and assuring.

I seek to give to you that which I have first received.  It is my prayer that you receive and experience yourself as a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a citizen in the holy nation which is God's.

No comments:

Post a Comment