Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Devotion - Tuesday, September 26

Mark 14 retells the story of Peter's denial.  Three times, he has opportunity to admit that he is a follower of Jesus, and each time he denies.

This story is strangely comforting to me.  If even Peter backs away from his commitment to Jesus, I feel less guilty when I do so.  Strangely comforting.

But is only "strangely" so.  

My denial of Jesus (perhaps like your own) seldom involves lying about my associations or my activities.  It never involves hiding where I spent my Sunday morning or my Wednesday evening.  My denial is most likely to occur when opportunity presents itself to do the Jesus-like thing.  My stepping away occurs when there is ministry to be accomplished, but my feet are tired. 

I see too much denial of Jesus in the push to send sufficient recovery resources to those in the Keys or in Puerto Rico.  I see denial in the rise of hate groups and in the rejection of those who differ from us.

It is tough, not to deny Jesus, in these situations.  It is easier to keep on our blinders and find fault with those who are unable to feed themselves or find suitable housing.

It is strangely comforting that Peter also found it challenging to follow Jesus.  Comforting, in that I know it is not a simple matter but a commitment I must make day after day after day.

No comments:

Post a Comment