Thursday, September 28, 2017

Devotion - Thursday, September 28

This morning I share an experience, more than a thought.

Yesterday was Day 1 of the Habitat for Humanity build on Bowman Field.  This is the 24th year of the build.  During the work-day, I encountered a few folks known to me, but a lot of new faces and names worked along side me to build the house.

Last evening, there was a prayer vigil for homelessness.  A group came together from a wide range of traditions and faith communities.  There were Catholics and Methodists, there were Muslim and Jew.  The Orthodox were present, as were the Lutherans.  The group stood by the house and offered prayers for sisters and brothers who find themselves homeless for any number of reasons:  low paying jobs, forced to flee their home country, rejection due to sexual identity, divorce, bankruptcy, etc.

Yesterday, I experienced that slice of the community which sees the need to assist our neighbors and is doing something about it.  Yesterday, I shared in the instructions of Jesus to "do unto the least."  Yesterday, the person I most want to be was allowed full reign.

It was an experience which changes not only what I think about but the very way I think about the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment