Monday, September 11, 2017

Devotion Monday, September 11

I am not sure how I will spend this day.  With classes cancelled and facilities closed, I can't make my typical rounds.  If the State of SC has shout down out of a fear of persons being harmed, should I attempt to get out in this weather and expect others to do so just to keep an appointment with me?

How will I spend this day?

It would be appropriate for me to spend a portion of this day acknowledging the strength of the cosmos.  Biblical writers expressed their amazement at the natural forces.  We too often forget the strength - with our electric lights and concrete structures.  But today we see the strength of God and are reminded of our relative weakness.

A portion of this day is to be given to prayer for those who are being even more affected than me.  Purely as a result of which direction the wind blows, some will lose homes and livelihood.  

I hope, before this day is over, that I will find some small way to communicate to another what happens in my heart as a result of two preceding actions.  It may be a call to family, to acknowledge gratitude.  It might be a letter, sent to a distant friend.  Actions speak louder than words - maybe it will be taking the unused canned items to the food pantry.

How will you spend this day?  It is a day of unexpected liberty.  What you do with it may be a good indicator of what is in the deep corner of your heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment