Thursday, February 23, 2017

Devotion - Thursday, February 23

I am slowly getting back on my feet.  I had some oral surgery on Tuesday, and it took a lot out of me.  There are still pain pills in my system, so there may be more than the normal number of typos and stupid errors as I attempt to write to you this morning.

My prayers this day were prayers of appreciation - for Laura.  Over these past two days she has brought me food, tending to the house, kept track of when I needed my antibiotics.  These days have reminded me that none of us are able to make it through live on our own; that we all need others there to care for us and watch over us.

It was good to be reminded of this - given the number of times when I have said these same things to you.  It was good to be on the receiving end, as an instruction for the next time I might be able to be on the giving end.

The notion of an independent and self-sufficient individual is dangerous.  It also erodes the Biblical call into a community where we live our lives intertwined with others.  Jesus calls us for many reasons, but surely one reason is so that we don't even attempt to live solitary lives.

The next occasion you have, let Laura know that her service has not gone unheeded.  And the next opportunity you have, allow another to care for you.  It is a marvelous gift from God.

No comments:

Post a Comment