Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Devotion - Tuesday, September 6

In one of the sessions at this weekend's retreat, I tried to speak of Augustine, Bishop of Hippo.  I feel confident that I got the information correct, but I think I got his name somewhat confused.  As it happened, on Sunday afternoon, I found myself once more speaking of the writings of this fourth century teacher.  This morning, my devotional guide contained a sample of his writings.  So, it seems appropriate that I share a bit of what Augustine taught.

One of Augustine's contributions to Christian thought is his understanding of free will.  His personal story involves a lot of exercise of his own free will - use of free will which drew him away from the way of Christ.  Then, something brought him around.  Augustine insisted that we are enslaved to our godless ways, until such time as Christ sets us free from that bondage.  Any claim that we have set ourselves free is "foolish pride of boasting."

The retreat discussion which led to my speaking of Augustine was focused on our identity as children of God.  A child does not chose to be born. This decision is made by another.  So it is with our identity as God's childre.  God is the one who chooses.  When we develop our ability to reason we come to understand our identity.  We look to the ones who selflessly fed and clothed us, who provided for us and gave us their name.  It is their love of us, when were incapable of finding nourishment for ourselves, which leads us to love them in return.

So it is with God.  We see God's majesty; we experience God's goodness.  How can we fail to respond?  How can we cease to return our thanks?

No comments:

Post a Comment