Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Devotion - Wednesday, April 6

The cycle of readings directed me this morning to I Peter 2.  As I read "You are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God's own people..." I recalled how powerful these words were to me during my own college years.  They point out one of the affirmations of our theological tradition; an affirmation which needs to be repeated often and taught to each generation.

We affirm the priesthood of all believers.  We believe and teach that God has chosen all of us to serve as priests in the Church which bears the name of Christ.

My son is a nurse.  Because of this affirmation, he has proceeded with confidence when he was the only "priest" available to offer confession or baptism.  He knows that in the Church which bears the name of Christ that he has been designated as one who bears the gifts of God for the people of God.

Regardless of the field of study or the career identified as preferable, each of us are a member in the royal priesthood.  Each of us serve as God's presence in the world which God loves and seeks to redeem.

No comments:

Post a Comment