Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Devotion - Tuesday, February 16

Our Tuesday night Bible Study group considered I Corinthians in the fall.  Here in the early weeks of Lent, I am reading through it again.

This morning I read from the 1st chapter.  Here Paul speaks of mystery and mysticism.  He writes "Jews demand signs and Greeks seek wisdom, but we preach Christ crucified, a stumbling block to the Jews and follow to Gentiles."

There is much that can be said about the cross and about Jesus' crucifixion.  I have spent my whole life talking about the cross and Jesus' crucifixion.  Much can be said, but nothing can explain it or bring it to a logical analysis.  

I can recite for you many of the statements made, but in the end when asked "Why did Jesus die on the cross?" I must say "That was the way God chose to deal with the separation between us."  In the cross I can find all sorts of wisdom and guidance.  But I only point to it; I can never explain it.

The academic pursuits which occupy your day are designed to find answers.  The best of your professors will remind you that the answers you find are the subject of tomorrow's inquiry.  We develop an answer only to turn it into the theory that we will test next.  These insightful professors know that the thing which motivates us is the mystery and the uncertainty of what we think we know.

We preach Christ crucified.  Do not worry if you fail to understand the logic of such a path for God's Anointed.  But ponder the oddity and learn what it is that God is saying to you by way of that cross.

No comments:

Post a Comment