Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Devotion - Tuesday, October 27

I continue to read from Matthew 10, where Jesus sends out the Twelve in search of villages and towns where the good news might be shared.

He advises them to be "wise as serpents and innocent as doves."  I found myself meditating on that combination; asking what it means for me.

First, is the part about serpents.  I wouldn't automatically think of them as wise.  They do seem to be extremely aware of their surroundings and are prone to act only when everything is in place.  Jesus may be referencing the cunning nature of the serpent in the Garden of Eden.  To be wise as serpents may be a call for us to be patient, and methodical.  Serpents seldom attempt a strike unless they are confident it will be successful.

To be as innocent as doves I can better understand.  Doves are calming creatures.  They are rather low on the food chain, which means they are not aggressive.  I am not sure they could fight off an attack.  They are more likely to cause a fuss in hopes that others will gather around and rescue them.  

So how do these two traits go together?  

I understand the call from Jesus to be one that opens my eyes in ways never before imagined.  I understand the call from Jesus to be encouragement to put others first (even when it means I am taken advantage of.)  To be wise, as a serpent, is to know what is happening, to watch and to analyze and to be insightful.  But we would never use that information or wisdom to exploit the situation.  Instead, we use it to build up the others and to support them in their efforts.

Wise as serpents and innocent as doves.  It is a combination difficult to maintain; but so essential if we are to follow in the way of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment