Monday, October 19, 2015

Devotion - Monday, October 19

After a two week break, we resume our Tuesday night study of I Corinthians this evening.  While Romans comes first in our New Testament, for many I Corinthians is considered Paul's most helpful letter.

I was reading this morning from Chapter 10:14ff.  

One of the issues in Paul's day was eating the meat that had been offered at pagan altars.  This meat was sold as food for the dinner table. Many refused to eat this meat; others saw no harm in doing so.

Paul compares and contrasts two axioms (an axiom is a saying widely accepted by the conventional wisdom of one's culture.)  Paul writes:  "All things are lawful for me."  In Christ there is no law which binds us or holds us.  But, Paul also writes: "Not all things are helpful."  Just because it is okay for me, that does not mean it will be helpful to others.

In our culture, the consumption of alcohol would be the best parallel.  I have no real interest in the currently, someday-to-be-changed-again laws of the state.  But I have a deep and abiding concern about how my liberty could affect others.  

While something is lawful (here we can think of lawful in many categories) not all things are helpful.  Being helpful is more than volunteering at the food pantry or Habitat house.  Being helpful means looking to see how my actions are affecting those whose eyes fall upon me (particularly when I may be unaware they are looking at me.)

Apply to your life the second of Paul's axiom.  Look for the ways in which you could be more helpful.  It might mean avoiding the gossip of others; it could be asking for consideration of the Gamecocks when trash-talk is going on; it may mean asking for civility when political candidates are discussed.  

All things may be lawful; but not all things are helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment